Office Administration Assistant
£22,000 per year
Hadnall, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
We are looking for an office assistant to join our team and perform a variety of administrative tasks. The role will involve both regular duties and a variety of other tasks dependent on business activities.
As the leading UK supplier of tree and shrub seed, Forestart provides tested seed to forestry and amenity growers across the UK, Europe and the world. We supply the seed to grow the trees of tomorrow, specialising in collecting native and forestry species from sites throughout the UK and breaking inherent seed dormancy.
About the role
Working as part of our small office team, you will be an important member of the wider Forestart team. Working alongside our director and the seed collection and warehouse teams, you will be responsible for ensuring we adhere to the regulations that apply to seed collecting. You will also work alongside our HR and Health & Safety staff, including taking responsibility for conducting a number of regular inspections and safety checks. The role will also include a variety of other duties, which will be completed around your main responsibilities.
The job role will include:
- Taking a leading role for ensuring that Forestart complies with the Forest Reproductive Material regulations. This involves accurately:
- Gathering information on planned seed collections
- Notifying the Forestry Commission of these seed collections and keeping related records up to date
- Checking ‘Goods Received’ notes to ensure that every collection has been notified
- Updating the Forestart seed collection site database
- Applying for Master Certificates for processed seed batches
- Ensuring that land owners receive their royalty payments
- Being responsible for conducting workplace safety checks including but not limited to fire alarm checks and accommodation checks
- Being responsible for preparing and maintaining staff accommodation, including practical tasks of cleaning before and after accommodation is occupied, making beds and building furniture
- Assisting with invoicing for seed orders using our bespoke software when seed is dispatched
- Assisting with complying with legislation relating to import and export of seed
- Assisting with new employee inductions and training
- Assisting with HR and Health & Safety administration and liaising with our Health & Safety and Employment Law services provider to ensure compliance
- Ordering stationery and equipment
- Answering internal and external telephone calls, handling them effectively and communicating messages as appropriate
- Ensuring that your work is completed in a timely manner so that compliance is maintained and you ensure other team members’ work is not affected
- Liaising with other team members to obtain and communicate information effectively.
- Reporting to the director and HR/Health & Safety staff
- Embracing training and support from existing staff to ensure you gain all the skills and knowledge required to develop expertise and excel in the role
- Assisting with office and seed testing job roles to provide holiday and sickness cover
- Other duties as required
- You are organised and able to work on your own initiative, managing your own time effectively
- You have excellent attention detail with a methodical, thorough approach and a drive to achieve quality throughout every process
- You have excellent numeracy and literacy skills and are confident using computer systems for data entry
- You have a flexible and positive attitude, in alignment with our work culture
- You can follow instructions and react appropriately to hazards in the workplace
- You can communicate effectively with your colleagues in the workplace to be a team player
- You have a professional manner, important for speaking to customers and other companies
What we offer
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Regular hours of work (Monday – Friday 8.30am-5pm with half hour lunch break plus two paid breaks)
- Training and development
- CPD encouraged including involvement in industry visit days
- On-site parking
- Commutable from: Shrewsbury, Telford, Whitchurch, Ellesmere, Oswestry, Welshpool
Where you’ll be based
Our office is at the main Forestart site on the edge of Hadnall, near Shrewsbury. The site is a purpose-built industrial unit where our seed collection teams bring the seed to be processed, stored and dispatched. This location is the hub of our work; it is very much an agricultural-type environment throughout. We are surrounded by beautiful countryside and close to the historic town of Shrewsbury, whilst being located centrally within the UK with good transport links for our staff and business needs.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . You will receive a response after the closing date.
Informal discussions about the role are welcomed. Please contact Helen Richardson on 01939 210638.
Friday 1st December 2023
In line with the requirements of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. As part of the recruitment process, you will be asked to provide documented evidence of eligibility. Forestart Ltd is an equal opportunities employer.